I'm a born and bred Wellingtonion but with strong ties to both my English and Chinese parentage. My wife and I have two children, Ethan and Emilie.
Qualifications and Certifications
- Masters Degree (with Distinction) in Banking Management
- Postgraduate Diploma in Banking
- Bachelor of Commerce & Administration
- Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM), Scrum Alliance
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt- IASSC
- ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management- Axelos
Others describe me as calm, measured and considered; someone who can lead through major crises and high pressure situations, keeping people aligned and on course while managing the ‘upward noise’. With a keen willingness to take on new challenges and opportunities, I’ve gained a reputation for being strong in the area of customer transformation. Previous roles include Head of ICT Service Operations, Group Manager Credit - Theft & Fraud and Transformation Lead -Customer Experience & Retention, for Contact Energy.
I have a huge passion for leading through others and bring a strong sense of positivity and "team" to my working day. I have seen how through leadership, people can transform and go onto achieve greatness in their work and personal life.
Some of the key transformation programmes I`ve delivered include:
- Between 2014 to 2018 led the transformation of customer debt and revenue management for Contact Energy. Developed adaptive strategies to deliver new capabilities, improved processes and redesigned SAP systems along the end to end customer debt journey to significantly improve outcomes for customers by reducing customer bad debt from $14m p.a. down to $6m p.a. within 3 years. Lifted people engagement scores from 55% to 83% over this period. Team size 30 people.
- Led technology teams through transformational change that supported key customer initiatives including the insourcing of Service Desk, introduction of new end user technology (such as Microsoft Surface hubs), implementing MS Exchange Online, Office365 tools and various network and security upgrades. $20m operating budget, 30 ICT Professionals.
- Led three cross functional teams to deliver an agile programme of digital self-serve initiatives that solved several pain points for customers using online services. Three cross functional teams of 20 people in total.
- Led a high volume back-office operational division domiciled between NZ and India through a $250m Retail Transformation of legacy systems to SAP. Negotiated and concluded business critical supply agreements for Go Live and led the teams from readiness through to post implementation support. Lifted people engagement scores to 80% during a period of significant organisational instability and uncertainty. Team size 40 people.
- Transformed wholesale and counterparty credit risk management functions at Contact Energy and in doing so embedded a new culture of risk ownership across the sales force and removed approximately $300k per annum in bad debt expense from the business.o
"David was also a key part of the launch of our Match Fit transformation programme from the very start. David was fast to pick up the reigns and get his team in behind the transformation programme. His success in leading the Debt stream saw him move wider and take on the entire Experience & Retention stream. David was always focused on the delivery of benefits and improvements to the customer experience."
- former manager